The King's Chapel
The King's Chapel was built in 1531 by Franciscan Friars as part of the original Convent.
In 1531 a wealthy Spaniard gave Franciscan Friars a site in Gibraltar, some building material and a sum of money on condition that they built a convent with a chapel in which he and his family could be buried.
The term "convent" leads English-speaking people to think of nuns, but in Spanish a monastery generally houses a totally enclosed order, while Franciscans and others who go out into the world live in a Convent.
The Chapel was known as the Queen's Chapel during the reign of Queen Victoria, but on the accession of Queen Elizabeth II Her Majesty decided that no alteration should be made in the name, so today the Governor still resides in The Convent and worships in the King’s Chapel.
Within the walls of the Chapel lie the remains of the wife of a Spanish governor, buried in 1684, and two early British governors who died during their term of office, General O’Hara in 1802 and Sir Colin Campbell in 1813.
General Sir Robert Boyd is commemorated by a monument, as when he died his body was buried at his request under King’s Bastion, of which he laid the foundation stone and which he defended as Lieutenant Governor during the Great Siege.
King’s Chapel may be visited by the public but The Convent, as the residence of the Governor of Gibraltar is not open to the public. Take the virtual tour of The Convent here.